We are investigating 48 important drainage culverts (a tunnel carrying a stream under a built up area, road or railway) across the city. They could cause flooding because they need to be repaired or have limited capacity.
There is a risk of flooding to nearby homes and businesses from the selected culverts. This scheme will improve the level of flood protection to surrounding areas.
Progress and next steps
- The consultant, SWECO, was appointed in February 2015 to carry out surveys and engineering assessments of the 48 culverts
- Extensive surveys and assessments are now underway
- Consultation on plans where and when applicable
- Examination of options that can be submitted for Government funding approval will follow
- Invite interested companies to bid for the work
- Appoint a construction contractor Summer 2018
- Start work on site Autumn 2018
- Main construction scheduled to be complete by early 2020